Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My Birthday and Maori New Year

Oh there am I. Happy birthday to me! It's gonna be my birthday tomorrow, 8th of June 2011. This is going to be my first birthday away from home, first birthday without chicken blood marked on my knees, forehead, back and toes. Call it variation of culture baby. First time too, without seeing Saint Vincent Ferrer whom we bring home on my natal days.

Basically, I was born in a Catholic household and long ago, on one eve of June 1988, my mom experienced long labor process and asked God for a normal delivery, asking Saint Vincent's intercession. On the dawn of June 8, 1988, I was successfully delivered. My father named me Junel, after my birth month. Cool, isn't it?

Currently, I am here at Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology and recently we were notified that tomorrow's gonna be a celebration of the Maori New Year. The Maori people are the original inhabitants of New Zealand prior to the English colonization. I'm gonna celebrate with the Maoris and Pakeha alike while celebrating my first natal day here in Aotearoa. Another cool thing, ain't it? Heard there's gonna be a barbecue party which I'm gonna hitch with and the whole NMIT is gonna be celebrating my birthday as well. Hahaha.

Mama called from home and it was my first ever conversation with her since I arrived here. They are going to have a simple party for me back home. We call it a simple salosalo. Here, I am gonna have it with the company of my newly met friends. We won't be really celebrating it much as I did but a simple share of laughters will do. Thanks to them. Happy Birthday to me. I simply wish nothing but the bests of health, rational thinking, safety and good health of my family back home, and more opportunities to come. The best things will fall perfectly in its own perfect timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment