Sunday, February 9, 2014

As The Wheel Turns

I came earlier for an afternoon shift.

Today happened the most  moving moment I've ever encountered in my entire nursing life. Diana was admitted to our neurosurgery high dependency unit. She was brought in via ambulance from another facility for neurosurgical input and along the way, she developed an airway problem. CT scan showed intraventricular haemorrhage from an aneurysmal source. 

I took over the care few minutes after I arrived in the high dependency unit. As Diana and the nursing team awaited for further planning as neuroradiology team could not decide yet whether to push through for a neuroradiological intervention this time given the unsecured airway, I took over the care from a colleague who was due to go home. I was doing a jaw-thrust manoeuvre for an hour and a half while securing Diana's LMA. I reassured her to calm down as it was such a difficult time. 

Looking back on her comorbidities, the intensivist consultant said that the risks will outweigh her quality of life thereafter. Diana's cognition was intact, remained fully aware and insightful although she had unilateral ptosis and facial paralysis. The intensivist explained to the family at the bedside the prognosis. I asked a colleague a pen and paper and give it to Diana, in the hope that she may write things down while I was doing a jaw-thrust and securing her airway. 

She wrote down something.

"Talk directly to me", 
while the intensivist explained things to the family. 

She was given the options. 
Then she wrote down something again.

"Just make me comfortable."

I left work with a very heavy heart.

Name used is not the patient's real name.

No comments:

Post a Comment